European routeAge group: 9 - 13 year old
Maximum Students: 12
Duration total route: 4 Months
Duration Students on board: Flexible, few days up to 2 weeks.
Starting in southern Europe making way north towards Norway,( optional Denmark and Sweden) then over to the Shetland Islands before heading down south along the coast of England towards the Netherlands.
This route is good for students wanting to join on short trips as most places will be well accessible and within Europe, making travel to and from the ship easy.
While sailing the focus shall lay primarily on building life skills and character that can be learned through sailing. They will be involved in all aspects of the trip - preparation, cooking, maintenance, navigation, watches, sails, provisioning etc. Through the trip we wish to achieve some core life skills, like team work, responsibility, self confidence, determination, discipline, become aware of our environment & experience the pleasure of simplicity ( how less can be more)
Of course they will also learn about life at sea (i.e. sail handling, ropes, navigation (celestial and modern), understanding the weather, maintenance (rope work, woodwork, engine…)
However our main focus is building confidence, determination, team work and responsibility as these are very important things in life.
The ship would make port several times along the journey. Explorations ashore may involve activities like hiking, camping, outdoor survival skills, cultural insight, educational (museums,..) and other activities depending on the possibilities at each port.
What we aim to give the students that sail with us.
- Build self confidence
- Respect for others, realise everyone is different and that's ok.
- Experiencing the need for teamwork and a good work ethic
- A sense of community
- Learn how to use modern technology in a sensible way, as a helpful tool rather than a necessity.
- Developing problem solving and leadership skills
- Take responsibility for their own actions and decisions
- Developing social and life skills
- Learn about our environment and how to take care of it.
- Learning sailing and navigation skills
- Encouragement to lifelong learning
- Experience the pleasure of simplicity ( how less can be more)
- How to achieve their own dreams & goals.